View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #45
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
No, I don't. But I don't avoid more tax than the guy next to me who is also making a living. We both contribute to society. We play by the same set of rules. Amazon is not doing that. They are avoiding more tax than other comparable companies.
No, they're not. All large, multi-national companies do the same sorts of things. They may disagree on the exact details; profits are rooted in more than just not paying any more tax than is absolutely required, but it's certainly one of the major factors.

Amazon is publicly traded. The law requires the people running the company to protect their shareholders' interests. Would you feel the same if you owned Amazon stock? Would you go to a shareholder meeting and raise a stink demanding that Amazon pay more in taxes than they are required to? Do you think the other shareholders (who are the owners of Amazon) would vote with you?