View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #106
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
It has just occurred to me: have I accidentally turned my Kobo Aura HD device into a weapon of mass destruction of eyesight, i.e. perhaps that black tape was covering a strong source of IR radiation and by removing it I am now shooting an IR beam straight into my eyes (through the plastic)?

How would I detect IR radiation? Do you think my skin would be sensitive enough to feel it? Or at that intensity it would have to be so strong that a mere look at it would blind me, even though I won't actually "see" what blinded me, as it is not in the visible octave for humans?

I remember that on green lasers there is a special filter installed for this specific purpose --- to filter out harmful IR radiation. Could this black tape possibly serve a similar purpose in Aura HD? Maybe I should buy one of those IR security cameras and check.

Markismus, I take it you also removed the entire black tape from your device. Assuming you are using this device for reading, did you notice something like going a bit... err.. blind, recently?
The outer plastic layer of the bezel and case is not transparent to IR, just the piece on the inside of the bezel.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote