View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #62
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
This was the answer to your earlier post, see below for an answer to your latest...:

that's great :-) I would advise against Xfbdev in such a scenario, since both Xfbdev and kindlevncviewer would use the framebuffer in such a case and this might cause conflicts or artefacts, I think.

Using VNC, even with "copyrect", still means that data is shoveled through the kernel's networking layer and replicated onto the framebuffer. I think it would be interesting to patch x11vnc to _not_ encode recognized changes and send them via VNC, but plug kindlevncviewer's screen update method into the code at that point. Will see if I can come up with something like this...

Well, best thing to have would actually be a working Xfbdev. I didn't dig too much into the XOrg code yet, but maybe that would make even more sense. There should be some way to overcome that nibble-in-byte order problem...

---snip---

The documentation for x11vnc is in fact, erm, extensive: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/
(plus the FAQ!)

See the various mentions of Xvfb, Xdummy (need to check that one, I think buildroot can build it too with the modular Xorg!) and x11vnc's -create and -display switches. In fact, the amount of documentation makes my head hurt :-)

Last edited by hawhill; 11-01-2012 at 03:04 PM.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote