View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
del Rey, Lester: Police Your Planet. v1. 23 July 07

Released under a Creative Commons license
http://www.munseys.com/book/22883/Police_Your_Planet
(Reformatted by me to my specifications.)

I read Lester del Rey's Sci-Fi writings as a kid, about the same time I was discovering Heinlein and Asimov [French]. I was at the right age, at the right time. This was long before I discovered deconstructionism, the tenents of New Criticism, along with Saussarian and Derridian sign/signifier theories couched deep within the metaphysics of language theory and semiotics. It was a time of high adventure, a time when whole cities hovered miles above the earth[James Blish]; when space ships spent centuries travelling the uncharted regions of space [A. E. Van Vogt]; when the simple things in life could have profound meanings, especially when the those words came from shapes quite different than ours [Clifford D. Simak]. It was also a time, shortly thereafter, when the poetics of language soared with wings into new worlds and new sensibilities of meaning [Ray Bradbury]. It was, for me, an age of innocence, discovery, and sheer fun.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to find an original typescript of a short story by Lester del Rey - one that is NOT a carbon copy, I might add.

Here's a quote about the book:

"Often better-remembered for his short fiction, Lester del Rey's novels are fast-paced stories that capture the true spirit of 1950's, "Golden Age" science fiction -- stories that attracted so many young readers during their time. Police Your Planet is set on a future Mars where cities are built fast, slums are endemic, and crime is rampant. This is a Mars with cheap grifters, unwashed bums, and "Marsweed" -- smoke it fast, before it kills you! Police Your Planet is pulp fiction for the rocket ship generation -- more back alley action than space-ship battles. Lester Del Rey's fast-paced story gives the same thrills today as it did when it first fell into the hands of its young, enthusiastic readers."

This is the way they wrote them in the early years, not so long ago, in a world quite different than today.

I hope you enjoy it.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-23-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Prefix
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote