View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually, calibre will give you better books, it offers far more control and features than BD, it's just harder to use for had crafting as it expects you to know HTML.
All-right, then. I know HTML and am not intimidated by CSS. Now JavaScript is another matter, but since I'm not trying to do anything interactive, shouldn't be needed.

So -- is there any markup that would tell BD or calibre or MobiPocket Creator or whatever, that an illustration and a caption are to be kept on the same page? Or to identify text as a caption to an illustration? For example, do any of the book building products convert the alt= attribute of an img tag to a caption?

I can live without curly quotes -- I have mixed feelings about them, but know that some people are quite passionate about them, so I'd like to have a formula for creating a book with them. (I suppose I could hand-edit my html input and add the appropriate &xxx; symbols?)

Already I'm using the following work flow:

1 - Open the PG text or html in Book Designer, and following Harry T's tutorial, work all the way through to the point I'm ready to build the book. "Save" to make sure all updates are in the .html0 file in the LastFile folder.

2 - Exit BD

3 - Open the .html0 file in a text editor & insert the illustrations (if any) into the proper places.

4 - Open BD. "Save As" .htm file in a folder for input to MobiPocket Creator.

5 - Build the book for the Sony Reader

6 - Exit BD

7 - Edit the .htm file created by BD following the instructions in Harry T's tutorial for MobiPocket Creator.

8 - Open MobiPocket Creator and import the .htm file. Continue to follow Harry T's tutorial to create the Metadata, etc. for the book.

9 - Build the MobiPocket book.

10 - Exit MPC

11 - Open Mobi2IMP and import the .prc file created by MPC.

12 - Build the IMP books.

13 - Exit M2I.

14 - Rename all final files before uploading the MobileRead.

I would have no problem exiting BD with the .html0 file as is and then importing it into calibre to build the Sony book -- that's just one more piece of software and only one more step in the workflow -- particularly if the resulting book would be of higher quality.

Now -- how do I view the Sony book to assess whether there are any problems? Does calibre provide a viewer?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote