Thread: Twain Project
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This brings up a lot of issues....most notably...

the "errors" that crop up on PD material itself, such as scan errors, etc. The text itself is being "compromised" in many ways. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but just somethig that (in my opinion) is a consideration when working with Pd material.

I'm working right now on a massive non-fiction piece (in 4 different volumes), and there is no consistency in some of what's on the Contents page.

Also, there are certain other compromises. There was a thread here somewhere on how one company puts its TOC at the END of the book. Someone made a conscious decision to do this. (This is not a criticism, but can you imagine a CONTENTS page at the end of a printed book?)

Additionally, there are the limitations imposed upon the engineering constraints of the Reader itself.

And then AGAIN (hahahah - gotta love the CAPS, RWood!), there are ways in which WE impose structure on our "transcribing" as we put the books together.

A lot of things to consider...

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Some object to bold (er, bold) and I object to ALL CAPS for no reason. Many of the older works that we convert have chapter titles set that way so it is a constant decision as to should they be modernized to mixed case or remain ALL CAPS.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote