View Single Post
Old 07-31-2018, 11:25 AM   #274
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
8 Track tapes actually had better sound quality than the original cassette tapes. When Cassettes were first available the sound quality was not very good. It was a smaller width tape. Later the quality improved with the introduction of compact cassettes and 8 track disappeared. Cassettes are made with polyester base tape, have just over a 1/8th inch tape width, and a slow playback speed of 1 7/8 ips, thus contributing to a limited dynamic range and frequency response.
Apache
I understand that Beta had a better picture quality than VHS as well. Beta only had about an hour or so of tape though while VHS could get 6-8 hrs of tape time. So Beta lost out in the end to VHS. It's interesting how sometimes the lower quality product wins out over the competition simply because there is more quantity or something. I never really noticed that the audio cassette had limited dynamic range or frequency response. Guess my ear wasn't discriminating enough back then.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote