View Single Post
Old 12-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Smile Irex Iliad: workflow for research

Hello community!

I'm seriously considering buying an Irex Iliad 2nd edition for my work. I'm a researcher on fluid dynamics and, as a part of my job, I read and analyse a large number of journal articles (mostly in pdf format) in a daily basis.

Considering what i've read in this forum in the last couple of months while searching for the appropriate device, the Iliad seems to be the right choice in terms of portability and battery life.

What I would like to have before actually buying the Iliad is an approximative workflow of how would I be using it. Here's a scheme i've managed to make so far from things i've learnt from the forum:
1) Search for papers using my desktop pc or laptop
2) save papers in my pc to a specific folder, lets say 'recent papers'
3) have pdfcrop automagically crop pdf borders to reduce the amount of zooming operations to be performed on the illiad
3) synchronize that folder to the iliad via wifi for later reading
4) read and annotate pdfs using the illiad
5) going back to the pc and merging papers + notes

I think most of these steps are easy to accomplish, and I'm an experienced linux user so i consider there will be no problem is some scripting is involved.
Nevertheless, I would like to know if anyone has tested this kind of workflow, and if it actually possible. I would also like to hear what is your workflow like, which steps it consists on and what do you do to accomplish it.

Another thing that bothers me is the amount of files involved and the limited (dare i say, impractical) 6 files per page view that offers the contentLister (as far as i know). Is there a solution to this? I manage a database of at least 300 papers (plus standard reference books), so it will be pointless to navigate them this way.

I'll wait anxiously for your answers to these questions, and don't forget:

"La victoire appartient à ceux qui persévérent"
[ Victory belongs to those who persevere. ]

Napoleon
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote