View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I just recently received my new T62 from Banggood, and I've been trying it out. My experience is very similar to Purple Lady's thus far. With the Onyx T68 and the Onyx reading app, I usually needed to put my fonts in bold in order to see them well. That is not necessary for the stock Boyue T62 reader. Every reading app I wanted to have on an E-Ink device runs well on the T62. The T68 was fussier on that account. As for resolution, the difference isn't noticeable with text. It can be seen with app icons and book covers, but it's not a huge difference.

I have only seen a couple of very minor nit-picky issues with the T62 thus far. I'm using the Boyue launcher. Unlike the T68, my most recently read books don't appear on the home screen after the device has been awakened or rebooted. I need to push the Jingdong Reader icon, which immediately crashes the launcher. Then, my recently read books appear! Secondly, mild shadowing can be seen along the edges when the light is on. The T68 has a slight edge here. But it's not distracting at all, nor does it interfere with reading.

As for the white-on-white issue, I have found that some menus that have the white-on-white problem on the T68 don't have it on the T62. But the reverse is also true for a few apps.

So much for the nit-picky stuff. Now for the praise that it has earned.

The T62 does everything I want it to do. It is a little smaller and thicker than the T68, so some people may find it easier to hold. It does some functions, like checking storage, MUCH quicker than the T68. The T62 seems more stable than the T68. As for battery life, it may not match a Kindle or a Nook Glowlight, but I have installed SetCPU and that seems to give me a little more battery life. One thing I've noticed: the T62's battery will read at 99% for quite a while (using the Battery app). Once the percentage begins to decline, it starts to decline at a faster rate. I haven't measured how much time I get on a charge yet, but it seems comparable to the T68, maybe slightly better.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the T62. It does all I want an E-Ink device to do. It costs less than the T68. It has twice the app capacity, and well over twice the interior sdcard capacity. It will take an external sd card (of course). And, no problems yet! If my first impression holds up to the test of time, my T62 will become my go-to E-Ink device.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote