View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, when you say, "tiny screens," are you talking about dedicated devices like Nook, Kindle, which are not, in my experience, 6"?
[...]
Or are we discussing reading apps on cellphones?
I meant cellphones. E-Ink readers tend to be five or six inches diagonal, as is the established standard for screen size measurements when no additional qualifications are supplied. As I mentioned, my prs-650 is 91mm, or about 3.6 inches, wide. It's perfect for reading. As in, Sony actually made a device that is so good it precludes the sale of its successors.

I work in a publishing company, and a couple of... well, "tech-ish" colleagues actually prefer reading on their phones in order to not carry an extra device. What I was interested in was if there are any statistics from polls querying reader behaviour, are there many casual readers who use phones as their priary reading device? Our books generally work fine on phones, but if many people read that way we might do a bit more testing on some of our publications which contain tables, for instance.

Side note:
Sorry for the confusion of units. Specifying measures in different units tends to get commonplace when you use American software and printers in a metric country, no-one ever bats an eye. I've actually seen "PC LOAD LETTER" on a real x4510 in our office. It's meaningless no matter where you live. Oh, and of course we used A4, which the printer supported... Unit conversion should be a piece of cake to understand for people adept at producing epubs, however
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote