View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It won't work in all cases because you are missing something very important. What you are missing is that some people need or want a large font size.
No, that was exactly my point...I want a portable way to make this work.

If I had Javascript available, it would be trivial to do using my second formatting, then tweaking the first line indent with Javascript to work with the width of the character of the initial cap. With that, the initial cap would be centered, the top of the dateline would be in line with the top of the initial cap, and the text would smoothly flow from the initial cap.

And, it would reflow perfectly regardless of font choices or font sizes. Sure, it might look silly with really big fonts, but even a flush left initial cap will start to do that. And, even my current hack will do everything fine at any font size except have the initial cap perfectly centered.

Quote:
That and it does look awful. Whoever designed the formatting didn't take into account aesthetics.
That's purely your opinion. I like the left dateline and the centered cap. Also, I did snip the chapter number and image, which are both centered and draw the eye to the cap.

What got me asking the question is that I have another book with a similar format, but a smaller initial cap, so I had to tinker with the percentages. The attached sample image shows just how good a centered cap can look. The crosshair draws the eye straight to the cap, which is really good design, and is much better aesthetically than a left cap would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CenteredIntialCap.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	158414  
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote