View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericejs View Post
I have noticed that when at about 25-40% brightness you can notice a little screen flicker from the brightness on dark backgrounds. For instant if you use night mode at about 30% there is a noticeable flicker on the screen, not real intense, but still noticeable (changing the brightness higher or page color makes it go away). Is this a defect?
It can depend a lot on your reading conditions: incandescent or fluorescent light, brightness of room, angle of display, whether you are looking directly at the device or merely catching it in your peripheral vision. I tend to be moderately sensitive to such flickering, and I have not noticed any issues with the Nook Color.

I would suggest showing your device to a friend and ask them what they see before labeling it a defect. Also, and I know this sounds unlikely, but rebooting it may effect some change.

For those that are curious, this flickering is generally due to the use of Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) in the brightness control. It is usually flickering at a rate too fast for humans to notice, but that isn't always the case (I'm looking at you Cadillac brake lights).
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote