View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
mementomori
Enthusiast
mementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavensmementomori is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight
Hi!
Thank you Davidfor and Cesco for your replies! . I just joined the forum today and its nice to see quick replies like these. Just now, I was able to resolve this problem through a different approach.

As for the methods stated above, I tried them many times but they didn't work for me.

What have I done to get a bricked H2O? When I tried to root my Kobo H2O using the instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233259

particularly these steps:

Step 1
- connect the Kobo to the PC
- copy the folder kbmenupngs to the root of the device (e.g. K:\)
- eject safely and disconnect
- check that the 3 images (exit_nickel.png, simulate_usb_connection.png, toggle_nightmode.png ) are listed in the library. Only then proceed to step two.

Step 2
- connect the Kobo to the PC
- copy KoboRoot.tgz to .kobo of the device
- eject safely and disconnect
- wait until the update is finished

I ended up with a Kobo H2O in an infinite boot loop. All I can see is the flashing white LED (slow blinking). The small squares (loading screen) that Cesco mentioned, didn't even show up.

When I tried to delete koboroot files in the User Partition and restored root-partition files that were modified by KoboRoot.tgz (including /etc/init.d/rcS), (I saw a mirror copy of some of the root-partition files in the recovery partition), I ended up with a different kind of boot loop. The white power LED would now flash faster and I can see the small squares animating. However it didn't pass this boot stage. And the user-partition was formatted without any new files written on it. I also once-again tried the method that was mentioned in this thread but it still didn't work.

I was able to 'partially' restore the filesystem by untarring two files from the update folder of the recovery partition. One of these files is a tarball meant for the root partition. and the other tarball was for the user partition. Now it seems to be booting properly. Earlier, I did a factory reset and am making an image of the SDcard now. I'll try to upload it as soon as it completes.

I also took some pictures of the H2O internals, just getting it out of my camera, which, is now giving me a hard time. An adhesive between the Bezel and the sides of the base frame is all that prevents the water from seeping in. By prying mine open, the seal would have broke. Some other special adhesive or tape can probably take its place. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Last edited by mementomori; 10-18-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: attempt to fix grammar