Thread: Plagerism Okay?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #48
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Here is a picture by Asger Jorn, perhaps one of the best known Danish artists of the 20th century.

Presumably you would feel that the most important thing to say about this picture would amount to the fact that Jorn has used a print of a picture by another, unacknowledged, artist and it is therefore plain and simple plagiarism - end of story.
There is contrast between his work and the underlying work, possibly enough to put someone on notice that they aren't quite the same. I made that same point 5 pages ago about your urinal example. Books don't work the same way.

Also, is it only his signature below in the bottom right? I see two names, one looks like it could be Jorn. The other appears to end in "orton". If the other artist's name is still on the canvas, that would be an awfully clear citation without the need to stretch for a contrast between works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Fortunately there are more sophisticated assessments.
Not only were you wrong about what his assessment would be (you presumed too much, which is rude), you just called him an unsophisticated assessor (albeit, more slyly than he called you slow), and you did so after lecturing him about being rude earlier in the thread. So now you're rude and a hypocrite.

I enjoy having conversations with people I disagree with TGS, what's the point in talking with someone who already agrees with you? One might as well have a conversation with oneself. But your style of argument is deeply disingenuous. Offensive even. You have carried yourself arrogantly, lectured anyone who has disagreed with you, played word games to avoid responsibility for past posts, and played word games to let you insult others on the sly while simultaneously casting aspersions on them for being direct with their insults. You've hijacked this thread when the topic you so desperately wish to discuss is very, very tangentially related to it's stated topic, and when someone dares not to discuss your topic on your terms, you behave as though they're the ones in the wrong thread.

Conversations between people who disagree only work out positively when everyone is willing to behave honestly. You haven't been willing to do that, while at the same time you seem to think you're on the high ground. You're not. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to unsub this thread and go argue with someone who doesn't think they're better than anyone who disagrees with them.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote