View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Does their society originate ideas; or are they just chewing the cud of ideas that have been handed down to them?
New ideas come from direct experiences, but they deliberately avoid them:
'Beware of first-hand ideas!' exclaimed one of the most advanced of them. 'First-hand ideas do not really exist. They are but the physical impressions produced by life and fear, and on this gross foundation who could erect a philosophy? Let your ideas be second-hand, and if possible tenth-hand, for then they will be far removed from that disturbing element - direct observation...

But, regarding Orion, I would have thought the representation of the stars as a hunter would have been known; so it puzzled me to read:
The three stars in the middle are like the belts that men wore once, and the three stars hanging are like a sword.'
'A sword?'
'Men carried swords about with them, to kill animals and other men.'
'It does not strike me as a very good idea, but it is certainly original...

It seemed to me that maybe knowledge was decaying; and parts of it had been lost entirely. (E.g. no-one had a full understanding of the Machine any more.)
Yes, you are right, the way it is described and presented that is exactly what is being conveyed by Forster I think! Great point.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote