View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
danbloom
Banned
danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.danbloom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: The Bindle: no batteries, hand-cranked pages, mobile, underlineable
One reader who got the PDF via Mobile told me tonight: "On my Desktop PC the PDF works flawlessly. Is does not work on my Sony PRS-300 (E-reader). I tried to convert it to different formats (.epub, .lrf and .rtf) but this does still not work. I'm working on it "

another said: "Hi..................
I'm really not an expert on these matters, but I have learned a few things since getting my Sony 505 a couple of months ago.

PDF files are the worst to try to read on an ereader device. One can't really do to much with the formatting and if the font is too small it's really difficult. Adjusting to the larger sizes (on the Sony) makes a real mess and for some reason the pagination doesn't work.

I was looking forward to reading Finitude after your recommendation and because I'm always interested in new Canadian authors. Unfortunately, this book is almost completely unreadable on my device because the font is too small and the spaces between sentences and paragraphs is a mess.

I have had some success extracting the text from a PDF, doing some find and replace of spaces and paragraphing in Word and then converting it to RTF format. But, this is a lot of work and sometimes doesn't solve all the problems. I've tried converting into LRF format from there using Calibre, but that doesn't really give me the results I'm looking for either. I also find that I can suffer through some bad formatting if I'm reading nonfiction, but never when I'm reading fiction - it needs to look like a real book or I just don't enjoy it.

Some people are really good at this stuff. I'd recommend that you start asking some questions in the Calibre section of Mobileread forums. Keep a lookout for someone named Elfwreck. She hangs out in a few of the forums and is really good with this stuff. She even permitted me to send her a file once that she performed some miracles with. "
danbloom is offline   Reply With Quote