View Single Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:38 AM   #4
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I'm hoping that in the future I can use it on my PC to reliably see how my novels will display on an iPhone or iPod Touch. I get the impression that it's not there yet.
Not at all... It gives a very poor impression of how the book will look on the iPhone, or iTouch in my case. I used Book Glutton's ePub converter for a while, and it worked very well (no options, but the defaults happen to match my preferences), but it seems to be down recently. In the interim, I have tried Calibre a few times, but I am still getting the hang of it.

In any case, once you have the book in ePub, you have to open it on the desktop version of Stanza to share it with the handheld version (again, you can use Calibre for this, but I am still getting the hang of that), and I am always surprised at how poor it looks on desktop Stanza. Before I realized what was happening, I converted a few books repeatedly thinking there was something wrong with my source or process. Thankfully, once it is opened on the handheld, text formatting and other useful things are all where they should be.

According to the comments on the Lexcycle forum, they are trying to implement things like italics support on the desktop, but I do not know when that might happen.

I don't know of any good way to preview how a book will look on the handheld without using a handheld. I do know that the free iPhone SDK includes an emulator, but I haven't played with it.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote