View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Hi Pablo, I'm glad you liked Turner! Now, if I could twist your arm to do a rating or review on something like Goodreads/Smashwords/Amazon it would make my day... The hardest thing with being an unknown is that people only seem to take a chance on you if you have good ratings/reviews, and you only get those after people take a chance on you... A vicious circle!
Karl: I would love to write a review, but english is not my first language. Although I feel confident enough to post here, or write a technical manual or tutorial, I don't think I have the vocabulary needed for writing a review. And a poorly written review could do more harm than good.

When I have the chance, I recommend the books I like in this forum. And of course, when I like an author, I start buying his/her books in Smashwords.

Since I got my reader, I started expanding my reading with new, self-published authors. The problem, as you point out, is how to decide on an author when there are thousands of them around. What I do is rely on recommendations from people I meet here who share some of my likes. And a well written, engaging blurb is more important to me than a few reviews from unknown people.

I think self-promotion, like you are doing, is the way to go.

Sorry to disappoint you...
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote