Thread: MobileRead December 2012 Run-Off Vote
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #107
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I also read Good Earth very recently and really enjoyed it. Of course that book was the principal inspiration for Pearl S Buck being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature.
This is what interested me. I was discussing this book with someone quite recently and mentioned that I really wanted to read it. The comment made was that it was very popular in its time because there were not many books written about the Chinese experience.

The cynic in me rose to the surface and I wondered how much the novelty of content affected both its popularity and its esteem at the time.

Now, such content is not particularly novel, so I wondered how people were finding it and if the experience was still rewarding.

Of course, I'll read it anyway as I've already purchased it, but it's nice to get an idea...and dampen my cynicism.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote