View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you don't have a Wifi, you don't have what this forum is talking about as a MAC address.
In fact, I don't know if 3G on the K2 was on the motherboard or was a plug-in card.
What you might do is check if either of the machines (new or old) was uploading a firmware image to the 3G module (in whatever form it is implemented in on a K2).

If the Kindle 2 is anything like the Kindle DX (or DXG - case color does not matter), then the machine specific information is in the mtdblock device not the mmcblk device.

I don't have the information about the K2.
I think I identified that I was interested in the K2 in the first sentence I posted. Once the Kindle is registered on Amazon a mac address appears next to the Kindle name on the Amazon account. I assume that since my old 3G module didn't work on the new board, that the mac address is for the board itself or one of the soldered chips. There is a little 3G module with an antenna connection that plugs into the board that's interchangeable. I have two of them at the moment, as well as 2 boards. They look identical to me.

Searching the forum I found the following reference to a method of changing the mac address and serial number, but it's not clear if it will work on the Kindle 2 since it appears to be for the Kindle 3. If this method also works with the Kindle 2 then all I need to get is the mac address associated with the original board.

Kindle 3 Diagnostics

Update 1: Works on the Kindle 2 as well. You can set the serial number and the ID for the eInk screen and something called the "PCBA ID" but there isn't a mac address that can be set. Furthermore the PCBA ID is blank. Not sure what that means. What I can try is to replace the original 3G module and set the Serial Number to the old one. Any reason that wouldn't work?

Update 2: BTW, it only works if you save the text file without an extension: "ENABLE_DIAGS" no ".txt"

Last edited by freewheeling; 11-13-2012 at 08:24 PM.