Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
There is so much being discussed in this thread!

First, I want to say, regarding the hidden/open polls and the classics poll:

In the classics poll, the option for keeping both classics received a majority. Even if you added the other options together, they still wouldn't have equalled the same amount of votes as the winning option. There was never a need for a run-off vote because it had already proven to be the clear winner.

In the first hidden/open poll, the "always hidden" option had only received a plurality. It did not have a majority. If all the other options were added together, they would've equalled more than the votes for the leading option. So when Tom stopped the poll, a run-off was in order to determine what the majority wanted.

Besides that (even though that is enough), there is the idea that a compromise was possible on this issue at all times. It never had to be "winner take all" in that discussion. It's too late now since I was suggesting alternating as the simplest compromise, but another good compromise would've been to have a poll only between "hidden" and "open", with the percentage that each option received determining how many months that option got for 2012. I didn't suggest that because I thought alternating was simpler and I thought enough people would want to compromise for it to win and everyone be happy with it. I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-29-2011 at 10:21 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote