Thread: FocusWriter
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 06:38 PM   #29
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You can entirely use keyboard shortcuts, even setup WS ones, on LO Writer.
I've tried to get WordStar keystrokes to work in LibreOffice without any success. As far as I can tell, there is is no way to emulate WordStar combination keystrokes (which is what I mostly use).

When I want to go to the bottom of a file, I type CNTL+q (^q) and then (while still holding the control key) I press c. It's not the three together. To the top of the document, ^q then ^r, to the bottom of the screen, ^q then ^x, back to the top, ^q then ^e. End of the line ^q - ^f, start, ^q - ^a. (These are basically extensions of the WordStar "diamond," e, s, d, x.)

The "k" keys deal with files or blocks of text. ^k then ^b to start a block, ^k then ^k to end it. To move the block ^k - ^v, to copy it ^k - ^c, to write the block to a file, ^k - ^w. To save your current document, ^k - ^s, to quit ^k - ^q. You can also open, resize and change into different windows in the "k" menu.

To spell check a document, ^q - ^l, to spellcheck a specific word, ^q - ^n. To find a word, ^q - ^f, to find the next one, ^l.

I don't think there is any way to do all this by customizing keystrokes in LibreOffice (which I would love to be able to do).

But, even if I could fully emulate WordStar keystrokes in LibreOffice, that's only half of it. I would still have to deal with a GUI word processor and my tendency to worry about formatting as I go when typing in one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or use Nano on Linux
I'm not looking for any keystrokes, I'm looking for WordStar keystrokes. I've had to write this post four times now. The first two times (when explaining the "q" menu) I automatically hit the CTRL key plus "q"... and quit Firefox. So I wrote the top part of this post in Jstar, and pasted it in. The third time I wrote this post I saw something I wanted to edit at the top of the screen and automatically hit ^q and I was going to hit ^e, and AGAIN closed Firefox. That's how ingrained the WordStar keystrokes are in my fingers. (This is not the first time I've done this but, normally, when typing in this forum I'm not in "WordStar" mode.)

I'm currently editing an OCR'd book (old one from Archive.org) to change it into an ePub. These keystrokes make the job much, much faster than using a mouse. There's a lot of cleaning up to do.

Now, if I can avoid hitting ^k - ^s, I'll finally post this.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-27-2021 at 09:45 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote