View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #30
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkietech View Post
I believe to understand The Master And Margarita the reader should be aware of what was happening in Russia. Woland is of course Stalin. The government rejects Christianity, illustrated with Pilate condemning Jesus, and makes a pact with the Devil --Woland.

Most of the ribald happenings show what is going on in the Communist world at that time. The whole thing becomes much clearer with a large glass of vodka.
Do you mean the novel works as an allegory at this level? Because while I think I can see the point working for part 1, I can't see how it explains part 2 - especially the ending. Maybe you had one glass of vodka too much at this point?

While I certainly think it describes Stalinist Soviet, I have some difficulty fitting in Stalin. I know you're "supposed" to think so, but I don't see it...

Overall I think it's a Christian novel, and with Woland ultimately working for God.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote