View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #24
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I can see how "well fed" and "plump" may be translated differently, but "hat by the brim as though it were a cake" seems very different from the other translation. Did the Glenny's translation take more liberty, in this example, with the translation, or did the P&V just translate it poorly?
When I read some of my favorite Japanese authors (I have a thing for Japanese authors) I am always aware that I am reading not just the original author, but the original author as rendered by the translator into English. A completely accurate [literal] translation might not present the book properly. Translation of literature is an art that requires more than just the ability to read and write in two languages. That said, and looking at the cited example, I don't think that an alternate translation of The Master and Margarita would change that much for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
Don't expect to hear a lot from me. I am not a writer and I'm certainly not a literary critic. I voted for this book and read it and I really believe I should have my voting privileges rescinded. In fact, I think I may have wandered into the wrong room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Same with me. Although I plan on reading one of the top two choices, I probably won't participate in the discussion. Which brings me to my question, should people like me vote in the polls?
I hope you change your minds. As far as I am aware there is no 'literary dress code' to enter the room, nor participate. If anything I think that this monthly book club, and the other original one, suffer from too little participation.

For what it is worth I also voted for The Master and Margarita, both initially when it was apparent that it was that or On the Beach, and again when it was definitely one or the other. I still think M&M was a better choice as I haven't altered my opinion that On the Beach is an unremarkable melodrama.