View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #61
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2P2 View Post
Navigating a virtual keyboard with a D-pad isn't that bad. Navigating a virtual keyboard with a D-pad on a screen with the Kobo's refresh rate, on the other hand...
I think it depends on how it is done. If we are talking literally moving from one key to next with each key requiring a key press, then yes, it could get painful. That being said, I have seen arrangements that were designed to minimize the key presses. I think Pocketbooks has a system like that for its non-touchpad readers.

Lets say you divide the alphabet up into three roughly equal blocks of letters. Then the first step of selecting a letter is to go choose which block... and then select the letter. You might even find a better arrangement if you broke the letters up into groups of 8 or 9 (it would take up to two clicks to select a block, but then probably only one click to select the letter in the block a lot better than the 8 or more it would take just using a qwerty layout.).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote