View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #38
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Of course, sometimes one must 'mispronounce' a word because, in a different place, the mispronunciation is the correct pronunciation.

There's a city in England, Warwick, pronounced 'worrick'. There is (or was) a hotel in Denver, CO, the Warwick Hotel, prononced 'wor-wick'.

When I was in Denver, it took me a minute or two before I worked this out and my taxi driver understood where I wanted to go.
I've been cringing all weekend, at radio info about some sports player who was drafted from a small unknown college in Pennsylvania, "Cuts town". Since I come from PA, I was pretty darned sure it should be pronounced "kuuts town". It is spelled Kutztown, and is in a German settled area. I kept shouting back at each radio announcer who said "cuts town".

Finally, this morning's announcer pronounced it correctly (kutz rhymes with puts, as in "he puts the plate on the table") and I signed with relief.

Whether or not that's a correct German pronunciation, it *is* the correct local pronunciation.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote