View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #26
Burgess Meredith
Burgess Meredith began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Hi Ilove!
I'm O.K.
I haven't given up on my machine yet, can't afford to, I'll be putting up with it for months to come yet (hopefully anyway!). I had a mind to keep it once replaced as a second anyway, the idea of playing with linux is interesting. I knew it was an OS, but wasn't aware that you couldn't buy a machine with it pre-installed. The HD is a 500gb (well 465 really) and I only have 33.4 of space left so it's in the red. This fluctuates every now and then as I purge stuff and then re-DL.

What set-up do you have? Any recs on what I should look for when the money's available?

I'm currently using a Dell Latitude E5510 250Gig Hard Drive, Intel i5 4Gig memory. It is a refurbished machine ($230) and I'm entirely happy with it,
except I should have had him install 8Gig memory when he asked. I figured I didn't need it, as I don't play video games (except Chess which I installed)

If buying new, probably a laptop with a comfortable to use keyboard (a friend just bought a new laptop, the keyboard is barely usable, if one had to write War and Peace on it, suicide would be preferable) Also, see about hook up's or interface capabilities like, if you want to hook it up to your Telly, do you need a Midi, VGA etc. but there are work a rounds to that like seward dot com

Some machines have USB3 (firewire) to transfer data real fast to another machine or external drive.

I'd go with 8Gig Mem upgradable to 16. A 1T hard drive is probabley common now, but should you stick with a spinner (HDD) or go with a Solid State Drive? More expensive, but gawd is it fast! No boot up time, it just comes on instantly like flipping a light switch, Nutz! But I don't think you defrag them, and if you delete something it makes the "cell" where the file was stored unusable. Perhaps there have been improvements in this area.

I also have a slot to plug in a Sandisk SSD 20 Gig I think, which I use for backing up files like books and music.

Then you are going to want an external drive for back up, a 1 or 2T HDD you can partition.
But what if the external drive fails? Maybe you can make another back up to the cloud, Some seem to offer a lot of free space. Something to think about anyways.

Sorry for the delay,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Praying Kitten1.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	164581  
Burgess Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote