View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Apple iPad’s Display Is More Like a TV Than a Laptop // iBook Prices Same As Amazon's

Wired offers a bit more extensive description of the IPS technology of the iPad's screen:

"... Apple iPad’s most striking feature, its gorgeous 9.7-inch touchscreen display, uses liquid crystal display technology — but with a few unusual twists — to present a vivid image and a wide viewing angle.

“The iPad’s display uses the same capacitive touchscreen technology as the iPhone and iPod Touch,” says Vinita Jakhanwal, principal analyst for iSuppli. “At the same time, it offers a better picture quality than conventional LCDs.”
Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPad’s screen as a LED-backlit with In-Plane Switching (IPS). Jobs was referring to a type of LCD screen that is more often found in HDTVs than it is in mobile devices.

So-called twisted nematic LCDs have dominated consumer laptop and phone displays. The viewing angle on these screens is limited, ranging from 110 to 120 degrees. When the screen is viewed outside this optimal range, its colors can look “off” and the overall image is faded or invisible.

In-Plane Switching helps fix those problems. In IPS LCD screens, the crystal molecules are oriented so their motion is parallel to the panel, instead of perpendicular to it. For viewers, the result is a very wide viewing angle — up to 180 degrees — with brilliant color....
"

I personally like IPS monitors a lot. While based on my experience with these, the iPad screen holds promise for reading, without eye fatigue, I'll have to play with one in person, before I make the switch from Kindle.

++++++++++++++++++++

On another note, macrumors cites a Kara Swisher video, in which Jobs states that the iBook prices will be the same as Amazon's."

"...Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg attended the Apple Media event where Steve Jobs announced the Apple iPad. Swisher has posted a video where Mossberg questions Steve Jobs after the event.

Mossberg brings up the issue of e-book pricing which was reported to be as high as $14.99 as compared to Amazon's $9.99. Jobs assured him that the prices would be "the same"....
"

Oh, and battery life for music only is claimed to be 140 hours.

Last edited by Sonist; 01-29-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote