View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I've been thinking about something like that for a while, but never found the time and energy to dig into it deep enough to make it energy effective.

Depends on what you want to run, my goal would be to run a Linux chroot and there is one way that should be fairly straightforward. Using Linux deploy to start the Linux chroot with VNC as the output for the GUI, you should be able to access that vnc session in the regular way via a VNC client (eg bVNC) on the onyx device. Regular way means you need to be on the same network, either in some external network or your phone can form an ad-hoc access point. The only thing you should need are the IP address of your Note 3 (should also show up in Linux deploy) and the vnc access data you configure in Linux deploy.

Of course, this can be a battery drain. So what I think might be more interesting would be to try and form a network either via USB or via Bluetooth. I haven't been able to figure out yet if you can use the same approach to a USB network as I would for a regular pc in this case, i.e. if the phone can act as the USB host for another android device (maybe mdp had some insights there?).
Regarding Bluetooth, I also hit a brick wall when I wanted to try this a year ago or so, but again mdp seems to have found a way of building up a usable Bluetooth connection with IP addresses, so that could be a good alternative to using WiFi-assuming it uses a bit less power.

Of course, all this just gets a Linux desktop to your onyx device (which I think is preferable for serious work anyway), not sure how you'd do this if you want to use android apps.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote