View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Yes, I can.

Look I'm not knocking the nook or any other reader, I'm just informing the OP that the Kindle is not as "locked" as people would like to think.
You can? without doing something illeagal? Unless its one of the very very few that offer mobi.

Also that's a yes and no in terms of being locked in. you do have to buy and convert into an Amazon acceptied format. and Mobi is the one you have to use with Calibre. And as I pointed out, there are times when upon conversion the outcome isnt always the greatest. I've see some of my buddys Kindles converted stuff and he has a few novels that are just on long paragraph, and others that indent in the wrong places etc. Not all of them but he does have quite of few that just come out like crap.

so yes there are ways around it.

but with the Nook and Sony, Kobo and other e pub devices you dont, you buy and sideload, nothing extra or in some cases nothing illegal as you would have to do with the Kindle.

Techinally you are supposed to stay within Amazons walled garden but yes there are ways around it.

but again the point is with the nook you don't have to worry about it. Especially if some people aren't tech savy. For instance I cannot see for the life of me my father understanding Calibre and there are alot of people like him.

Last edited by boswd; 09-06-2010 at 10:45 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote