Old 07-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
nook seems to be the popular birthday gift this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoitzo View Post
Hi! I just got the nook as a birthday gift and i LOVE it. Only thing is, I have a ton of books back at home (I'm away at college) and I don't want to buy the same books that I want to re-read. Is there a way I can dl them?

Also, I used Calibre
I know there is a Content Server in Calibre, that you can use to access your library from the internet. I haven't used it yet, though, as I just got my nook yesterday, and didn't realize Calibre even had that until a few days ago. Go to PREFERENCES then CONTENT SERVER to set it up. Of course, that means you have to actually go home to set it up, or get a competent sibling to do it for you.

Quote:
What is soft-rooting?
It lets you access the Android OS directly, so you can run other programs, and modify settings unavailable from the provided interface.

Quote:
Does it mean it won't be covered by warranty?
Yep. Which is why I don't think I will try it on mine until my 2 year accident & breakage warranty runs out. But Nook seems to be good at updating their software with the things people want, so it probably won't even be necessary.

Quote:
Is there a limit on how big my SD card can be?
The (old) manual says 16GB, but I ordered a 32GB card on eBay from Hong Kong the other day, I'll let you know if it can access the full amount, or not.

Quote:
I have a cover for it
I made one. I wanted something rigid, because I've read that most broken e-ink screens get that way from flexing. I googled around, and saw a few people describing how they made one, and decided to try it myself. I had one of those blank, lined notebooks that people buy for journals and such. I got it way back in the late 90s, I'm pretty sure from B&N, and it was rather unique in that the covers were made from computer motherboard printed circuit boards (green and silver). I never threw it out, because it's uniqueness was enough to bring out the pack-rat in me. It sat in a closet partially used for a dozen or so years, and a couple days ago I pulled it out and saw it was the perfect size. After removing the covers from the remaining pages and binding, I got some black duct tape, and cut a strip of poster board for the new binding, and hot glued loops of black sewing elastic to hold the corners of the nook in. Turned out really nice, I really surprised myself. And the look is perfect for an "electronic book".

Last edited by ThomasMc; 07-05-2010 at 01:06 PM.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote