View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
aktarian
aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.aktarian could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Prestigio PER3162b
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My own humble opinion - I wish I could eliminate paper books entirely, one of the companies that I deal with for books simply does not offer electronic versions. Electronic books have saved my hind end from drowning in books at home.
As I said before, ereaders are excellent for reading text-only books. The problem develops when you have other elements in the book. 6'' screen is not convenient for displaying pictures, tables etc, specially when you need text explaining these elements. e.g. even A5 book can have a picture on left page with text explaining it on right page. With 6'' screen you get a small picture as it is and loose details, text on next page so you have to constantly switch pages.

If you increase screen size you loose part of portability, comfort etc. The solution is different types of screen (roll out, foldable....) but that technology is still years from being available for mass market. Until then you'll have such books either in paper form or limited to computers. Former is what we have now, later doesn't take advantage of ereader main point, portability.

I think right now we are at point where we were ~15 years ago regarding audio-visual. CDs were becoming available for music, slowly replacing audio tape cassettes but we still used cassettes for movies as DVDs were not yet available. New technology was able to replace lower end demands (audio only) but not yet high end where you need more information (audio and visual).
aktarian is offline   Reply With Quote