View Single Post
Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Display Technology and Eye-strain

I find the discussions here about display technologies as they relate to reading quite fascinating. What is constantly brought up is that eye-strain seems to be an overriding criteria.

What is your stance?

1) Has to be eInk.
2) Can't be anything that glows (which allows for eInk or transflective displays like PixelQ/Mirasol)
3) Can glow if it is direct light only (which means AMOLED screens are ok)
4) Can glow if the backlight doesn't flicker (which means LED backed LCDs are ok)
5) I can read on anything.

And how do your reading habits affect this? Are you flexible about the above for casual reading? Or is it all reading?

I know that a lot of this is subjective, but there are studies showing that CRT displays and LCD displays with fluorescent backlighting can cause eyestrain, because of the flickering (especially, but not just, in environments where background lighting was also fluorescent). I haven't seen any studies that addressed the glowing issue directly, or that tested AMOLED, or LED backed LCDs, but obviously people have that sensitivity.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote