View Single Post
Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #15
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And then, on the next try, it converted the ebook which had failed 4 times already.
So now it is working - sorta.
Conversion by the plugin is dependent on Amazon's Kindle Previewer working properly and Amazon didn't do a very good job of with that software. For me it fails on more books than it works, but it does work or fail consistently on any particular book.

I don't know why it functions inconsistently for you and presumably others. It may be due to a bug in the plugin, but since I can't duplicate the problem I am unable to diagnose it further at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Green View Post
How can I use the Amazon Kindle Previewer to convert from EPUB to KDF, when I open the EPUB via Kindle Previewer, it convert it to Mobi format. I have not seen any convert options to KDF.
You do not need to locate the KDF files created by the Kindle Previewer to make use of the KFX Output plugin. It invokes the conversion function of the Previewer and uses the resulting KDF file automatically. But for those interested, I will describe more of how it works.

After opening a book with the Kindle Previewer you will usually see a dialog box with the message "Your book successfully converted into Kindle format" with a link to a folder containing all of the MOBI files produced by the Previewer. This message is a bit misleading since it doesn't let you know whether or not allowing Enhanced Typesetting succeeded for that book.

The Previewer generates a KDF file for each book, but only if it succeeds at converting it for Enhanced Typesetting. To tell if this was successful you need to check the book information screen using Ctrl-I or by selecting View->Book Information via the program menu. If this shows "Enhanced Typesetting: Supported" then a KDF file was produced. If it show "Not Supported" then it failed to produced the KDF.

The KDF file will be in a recently created subdirectory of your TEMP directory. A different random subdirectory is used for each book. You need to locate the one created at the time that you opened your book in the Previewer. For example, on my Windows PC the TEMP directory is "C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp" and I can find the most recently converted book within it named "145a-0754-be2f-1d6e\book\book.kdf".
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote