View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #1524
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool assorted stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Well, not to be negative but after starting chapter 7 of Blood Cross, I decided that I was sick and tired of the overall "Romance Novel" feel to it, so I've abandoned it. It's definitely an unusual move for me and I was especially surprised at myself becaus I'd already read the first book in the series and had enjoyed it. Oh well! So i'm now in the process of deciding which one of the following to read next/instead. It's either Fablehaven by Brandon Mull or Magic to the Bone by Devon Monk.

P.S. It's Fablehaven next!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Uh-oh. I'm reading Skinwalker at the moment, and that's exactly what I was afraid of the series doing; I'm seeing the signs of that 'Romance Novel feel' already...

OK, something else after this then, probably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I made it to the fourth book and then gave it up. None of the characters resonated with me, and the perspective (voice?) of "Beast" drove me nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
It's just small things, like when Jane first meets LaFleur and starts to drool a little over him that made me go 'Uh-oh'. You just confirmed the vibe I got.

I'm sensitive to these things since I followed Laurell Hamilton into the abyss while she did the same thing to the Anita Blake series
There's this analogy in my head and I hate it. When deciding to abandon Blood Cross I thought this and since I have read none of her books it's totally unfair and unfounded, but here it is:

Jim Butcher's wife is a popular Romance novelist. I've read that her genre is actually 'Paranormal Romance'. So what I pictured in my mind (such as it is) was Shannon Butcher writing the Skinwalker series under the pseudonym Faith Hunter.

This is so unfair but it's stuck there in my head. Forgive me. Please.

On another note, I finished Fablehaven and the 5 book series is on the list for my grandson's birthday this summer. It was a fun read.

P.S. Oops! forgot to say, I've never read any Laurell Hamilton but I have read similar comments concerning the Anita Blake series before. Jim Butcher wanted to write the Dresden Files set in Kansas City because he's familiar with that city (it's close to Independence, MO I guess) but his publisher nixed the idea because of Anita Blake's presence there.

Last edited by alansplace; 01-08-2013 at 12:25 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote