View Single Post
Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All in all, there doesn't seem to be anyway to do this. I though of using tcp/ip sockets, but then there will be problems on windows with antivirus programs blocking the creation of the sockets.

I dont really see any way out for this except to do what calibre does in this kind of situation, which is first run in process, copy out the data that is being worked on, and then launch a worker process that works on the data and returns the results via the filesystem. This does have performance implications, but for the vast majority of ebook files, the performance hit should be very small.

For jobs that dont do a lot of work on the data, like duplicate finder, run them in process and use either spooledtempfile or special api like format_hash()

That leaves launching external editors on data. At the moment, the only thing I can see is monitoring the temp file for changes. We can add API to have the temp file created outside the normal calibre temp dir, so that if the user leaves the external editor running when quitting calibre, it will not affect temp file cleanup for the other temp files.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote