View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #9
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Some time ago it was announced that a factory reset would brick the Vox. That's a very irresponsible path to take by the manufacturer (or whoever owns it now). What's wrong with just leaving it alone and let the user decide it's too old and slow?

Some time after that my Vox malfunctioned and reset and I thought it was done. However, I managed to get it working again after several tries, but all my apps were gone. Some I was able to replace, but many Google Play would not do because the Android version was too old. The most critical one was Dropbox, who is very adamant about not supporting older operating systems. It took me weeks to find an old Dropbox app that worked. I still use my Vox as an e-reader because it has such a nice screen. But it's deathly slow and under-powered.

As far as finding another OS, that would be a major undertaking involving rooting it and I suspect futile anyway due to the slow processor.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote