View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I've had similar difficulties. One of the problems is that having an "unreliable narrator" theme is actually a spoiler for some stories - and with a mystery that can be disastrous for the first-time read. Your idea of concentrating on the other half of the theme is probably a good idea ... but I'm going to have to think about this a bit longer.
Since suspense is my go-to genre, I've read many books where the twist is that the narrator you've been trusting all along is actually a diabolical liar, and of course revealing that is a spoiler. But often the unreliability is clear from the outset--the narrator has memory loss, for example, and is trying to piece together what happened.

Some examples in the memory-loss subgenre are Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson, The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins, Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin, The Memory Game by Nicci French. (A classic of the genre is The Black Curtain by Cornell Woolrich; the POV character has amnesia but the story is written in third person. Sadly, there's no e-book, or I might have tried to sneak it into the nominations anyway.)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote