View Single Post
Old 01-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
My reading of the PG licence is that one is obliged either to leave the whole licence in, or else to remove all references to PG. (I do the latter because the licence is very long.)

However, I'm quite prepared to be corrected if I have not understood it properly.
The applicable bit is

Quote:
1.E. Unless you have removed all references to Project Gutenberg:

1.E.1. The following sentence, with active links to, or other immediate
access to, the full Project Gutenberg-tm License
must appear prominently
whenever any copy of a Project Gutenberg-tm work (any work on which the
phrase "Project Gutenberg" appears, or with which the phrase "Project
Gutenberg" is associated) is accessed, displayed, performed, viewed,
copied or distributed:

This eBook is for the use of anyone anywhere at no cost and with
almost no restrictions whatsoever. You may copy it, give it away or
re-use it under the terms of the Project Gutenberg License included
with this eBook or online at www.gutenberg.org
Emphasis mine above.

I interpret this to mean you must either strip it out entirely or leave it all in. You must certainly leave it in for an ebook, as it may not be possible to link to a copy elsewhere.

It is rather long. At least PG now tacks it onto the [end of their files, rather than requiring readers to scroll through it to get to the book the want to read. There's a Palm OS ebook viewer called WeaselReader that began as a viewer for PG etexts, and included a feature to skip over the boilerplate and jump to the start of the book.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote