View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #210
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I learnt to read when I was about 3. It was during WW2 and new books weren't much available, so I read whatever was available in my grandparents' house, where my mother and I were living while my father was away at war.

There were some old Children's Encyclopedias from 1907 and I happily ploughed through them for several years. The other books were for adults, mostly published in the 1920s and early 1930s. They weren't difficult to read, so I got stuck in.

School was hugely boring at first when I was surrounded by children just learning to read single words. I got the odd library book from a library van that travelled round the villages. And I read my mother's library books. I also read newspapers, although I can't say I understood the politics.

Fortunately, once the war was over we moved around a lot and I got access to more books and to some decent school libraries.

I suppose I'm lucky to be still around, given my adolescent habit of crossing roads with my eyes on a book.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote