View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Superscript best practices?

I'm probably being a little persnickety, but does anyone have some CSS that consistently produces desirable superscript results across a variety of readers/applications? Superscript links for endnotes is where I'm ultimately going with this.

Just from an html standpoint, I tend to use the following CSS applied to a <span> element:
Code:
/* End note superscript style */
.end-note {
    font-size: .80em;
    vertical-align: baseline;
    position: relative;
    bottom: .6em;
    }
And the html would look like:
Code:
<span class="end-note"><a href="../Text/EN3.xhtml" id="EN3">3</a></span>
I find that seems to look the best... and doesn't mess with the line-spacing at all. However... ADE just seems to ignore that CSS and my poor number three is vertically aligned with the rest of the surrounding text. The only CSS I can get ADE to respect (with regard to superscripts) is:
Code:
/* End note superscript style */
.end-note {
    font-size: .80em;
    vertical-align: .6em;
    }
Which unfortunately, when I get the superscript jacked up to where I think it looks good, really starts butchering the line-spacing. It makes for ugly paragraphs. Does anyone have a "one-size fits all" solution that will maintain a consistent line-spacing when using ADE or any other readers/apps?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-08-2011 at 11:13 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote