View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like some variation, but I prefer when they don't go overboard. It's annoying when a female narrator tries to do a deep male character voice, and even worse is the reverse--the male narrators sound silly when they go all falsetto for a female character. I don't want to be thinking about the character's voice--it shouldn't be calling attention to itself. I want to be thinking about the character's words. It's better if the narrator keeps to slight variations in inflection, pacing, etc. to distinguish characters.
Right. It's one of the key attributes of the readers I enjoy most that they can make clear who is speaking with subtle changes, not caricatures.

I don't want every book to be a radio play with a cast of thousands, but often the differentiation of characters is a real value-add of audiobooks, and makes it possible to follow the story even while doing something else, like driving or mowing the lawn.

And honestly, sometimes, when there is a lot of snappy dialog, I have trouble keeping up with who's speaking in a print book, too.

Last edited by ApK; 09-09-2014 at 04:39 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote