View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
paulckennedy
Addict
paulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-bookspaulckennedy has learned how to read e-books

Device: Apple iPad
Red face The Google Book Settlement

Can someone please explain to this LAYMAN what is exactly wrong with the Google Book Settlement?

Now I know they digitized copyrighted material without getting permission from the individual rights owners. They should pay for that and I think the agreement does that. Authors, publishers, and other rights holders appear to be given the ability to include/exclude their works on a per item basis as well as dictate how their work may be used. It even appears that Google is investing in a Book Registry in order to ensure that Authors, Publishers, etc. get payment for any revenue that is made from use of their works.

I used to be a student a LONG time ago and I remember doing a lot of copying and work siteing. I would have been astounded to have digitized access to research as far as searching, etc. What happened to Fair Use and does it only apply to individuals?

I am just confused. Someone PLEASE help me to understand this topic better.
paulckennedy is offline   Reply With Quote