View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
I've noticed that there is a flag for epub formatted books that force images to maintain their original aspect ratio. lit, mobi and other formats don't seem to have this and their images, covers especially are stretched to fit the size of the screen I happen to be reading on and, frankly, it looks awful.
An issue I guess we've pretty much all faced.

The best solution I can offer is, unfortunately, not entirely device independent. Edit (or create) the cover image, making sure it's the same aspect ratio as your device's screen. For example, if your device has an 800x600 screen, your image should be 4:3, so make sure your image is 4:3. I think 4:3 is by far the most common aspect ratio for ebook readers these days, so that should produce something tolerable on most readers.

You could further tweak the image for a specific device. E.g., my ereader has an 800x600 screen, 176dpi, 16 greyscale. A cover image with the same specs would display best. However, as long as it's 4:3, the rest is not so important.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote