View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Sorry, Sirbruce and Andrys, but I have to disagree with you both.

My point is that you cannot get to the Settings screen if you are permanently outside Whistpernet range.

Even though you can register the Kindle via Amazon's website, the physical device has now way of knowing that you've done that. Think about it ... if it cannot communicate with the outside world, how does it know it's been registered?

So, when you go to Settings, all you see is a message saying the device is not registered, and the only posssible action is to click on the "Register" link. But that doesn't work because you are outside Whispernet.

I accept that, once you enter Whispernet, the Kindle will know that it's been registered and you will be able to get to Settings and complete the software update. That's why I emphasise the work "permanently, above.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote