View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Hi,

can anybody explain me what kind of apps can i covert for running under kual (in which language must be written, for example), and how to make the conversion?
They must be an executable script or executable program.
No other restrictions (other than processor type).
If the administrator 'root' can run it, so can KUAL.

KUAL does not stand in your way of getting something to run (it was designed that way).

- - - answer to your implied question - - -

There are other things that restrict what can be run on a Kindle.
and/or how much effort it takes to port them to the Amazon system.

Considerations:
* The age of the kernel and system libraries -
In general, if you can find the application in the Debian/Wheezy distribution built for armel - you have a chance.

* The display system -
Effects things graphic.
The "K5" devices run X11 on a framebuffer. That gives you a well known and high-level interface to the display.
The earlier devices, well, they vary from a tad bit more difficult to nearly impossible. YMMV

* The audio system -
The K5-Paperwhite doesn't have one.
Some of the other models are rather broken and/or strange in other ways.

* The amount of ram allowed a single application -
Usually set to warn at about 74Mbytes of ram (at least on the K5 models, other models may differ)

- - - How does twobob manage to build nearly anything that stands still long enough? - - -

* Some he doesn't actually build, he pulls them out of the Debian release archives and applies a script that analyses what libraries are required. (Info on that posted around here somewhere.)

* He uses Buildroot plus "Buildroot external" toolchain and C libraries (defined in Buildroot) and then just adds a custom package file to BR.

- - - How does NiLuJe build the things he does? - - -
He uses his own, custom built, toolchain and scripting.
Also published around here somewhere.
It is usually attached as a 'tc' tar-ball to some of his bigger projects.

- - - Non-ARMel code - - -
There are various emulators built to run on the Kindles that emulate other machines from micro-processor based game devices to the IBM s-system mainframes.

I was in the midst of testing IBM Mainframe support when "called away by life's duties" this summer -
I will get back to it and finish its testing / packaging.

As a general rule - if it runs (or ran) on a quad processor, simplex, 3090-400 (or earlier) Mainframe, it will run on a Kindle.
(I think - at least it looks like it for the moment.)

The state of that project (IBM operating systems):
os/360 - still need to do a sysgen for the Kindle resources and test.
vm/370 - runs
s-390/mts - runs
s-390/mvs - remains to be tested

And in that mix, you will find language limitations -
for instance: Cobol - limited to Cobol/360
The last, public domain, IBM Cobol compiler.

For the IBM-1130 -
I think PoP is the only one using that, but he hasn't complained - it must be working.

= = = = =

A rather general answer I am afraid.

If you have something specific in mind - start a thread - people here may already have tried it and can lend advice.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote