Thread: KOBO Rocks!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #285
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@JSWolf,

But that's exactly what you do get. Once you've set the font-size for a particular book it stays set, unless you want to change it again. It doesn't matter what you do in a different book. It's only when opening a book the first time that it opens at the size you chose the last time you touched the slider. I'd rather have an on-device size changer than to have to recode css.

Perhaps it's time to accept you're not to be happy with anything that doesn't work exactly like the PRST1. As a long-time Sony fan myself I'll leave you with these thoughts:
  • What changed the Sonys from being good, solid, reliable readers into great readers was the hacking community. Without kartu's PRS+ on the PRS505-x50 or morkl's work on the PRST1, Sony customisation options would have been very limited indeed.
  • It was only morkl's hack which gave me anything like the font-size control I wanted on the PRST1. Without it I had 8 standard options so widely spread that I was lucky if liked even one of them - it was usually none.
  • And who can forget that the PRST1 out-of-the-box wouldn't display italics/bold reliably unless you used the default font (totally useless IMO) or embedded your own (beyond the capabilty of many owners at the time). Sony were so aware of this that they documented it in the User Guide! Despite 4 or 5 firmware upgrades Sony chose never to fix it for PRST1 owners, instead saving the fix for the PRST2. We know from morkl's hack work that all it required was something like a 2-line fix. I call this cynical in the extreme.
  • All other community hacking on the PRST1/T2 was centred around rooting the device into an e-ink android device. This made many people very happy. Personally I could never see the point of turning an ereader into a 3rd-rate android device when I had a first-rate phone which did a better job. Besides that, to me, the Sony epub renderer seemed better than any of the few android epub readers which could be made to run on the T1.
  • The most recent PRST2 firmware update completely closed the door on the hackers. Now it's the out-of-the-box features or nothing.

Despite those negative points I really hope Sony come back with a truly great device, but if they're determined to keep out the community hackers... well... all I can say is they must have a death-wish. In the meantime I've tried Kobo's offerings and found them a very pleasant epub reading experience with excellent calibre integration. Yes they have minor annoyances that I didn't have on my Sonys but nothing that wasn't fixed by turning the page and carrying on with the book.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote