View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drauger View Post
It looks as gcc is too heavy for K4. At least I cannot even install it - my kindle hangs on downloading 3rd or 4th package required by gcc.
I noticed the hanging (and even bricking) when booting from main (and even worse on the K5(touch)) and then doing wget or gcc. That is why I booted from diags to run optware (much more free memory).

On the K4, diags has another HUGE benefit over booting from main. Booting main uses the old "einkfb" eink device driver from the K3 and earlier, which lacks support for all the new features and graphics acceleration that the new eink controller built into the iMx50 SoC used in the K4 and newer.

But when booting diags on the K4, you get the new "mxcfb" eink device driver that supports most of the features of the new graphics controller. I have a new demo that exploits the new hardware -- low FPS (frames/second) on the DX,DGX,K3 and K4main, but very high FPS on K4diags and K5(touch). I need to fix a bug in my einkfb support after another major rewrite that gives another huge speed increase.

Again -- on K4, you have a lot more you can do (with better graphics too) when you boot diags instead of main.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote