Thread: Classic Anyone get to try the Nook?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #61
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I played with it today in the store. I really feel bad for the people behind the customer service counter. They're not really trained for the Nook. AT ALL.

I had asked a couple of specific questions and they needed to consult their product literature, and still weren't able to answer the question. I also brought my Kindle and my Sony with me to compare.

Unfortunately, while I was there - I think I sold an older woman a Kindle.

But, I really -REALLY- like the ergonomics of the Nook. I think it's more friendly in that respect. Especially considering it weighs significantly more than the Kindle and is much thicker than my 700.

Unfortunately, the page turns are agonizingly slow. There's almost a second delay between button press and page refresh. My K2 isn't the fastest horse in the race, but it still is miles ahead of the nook. The one good thing I like about my 700 is the super speedy refresh rate.

I also had issues with the left sided page turn buttons. It seems they need to travel further to do the same work as the right hand button. It also made more noise than the right side, so I don't know if it's a fault of that specific unit.

In regards to the refresh rate, I push the button after finishing the page and then it felt like forever before the next one appeared. I hope firmware fixes it.

My other gripe was the navigation screens could have been more user friendly. There seems to be too many clicks to do anything. And the touch screen doesn't really respond very well yet. I couldn't for the life of me get the finger swipe page turn down.

And it took me a while to figure out the little circle on the right side of the touch screen is the "Enter" button to actually select something. I also had difficulty with the Home screen and the power slider, which is a button. They didn't seem to want to respond to me either.

So - how does it stack up?

I really really like it. It feels solid. Kind of like a loved paperback book. It may be about as large as an old Hardy Boys novel or something...Just picture roughly a 120 page paperback book or another YA novel of similar size.

Once the LCD went to sleep I forgot it was even there, which was nice. But when it came on it was like a neon sign! I'm sure the lower brightness settings could help with that.

The buttons for the page turns felt solid, had a soft click to them. The one on the right side was a little softer than my K2 page click. The left side, a little louder. I like their placement.

This is getting long winded, so in summary i think B/N has the right idea. It may put my Kindle to the pasture.

We'll see what their rolling updates do. I don't want to preorder or purchase until there are a couple FW updates. I just hope their R/D and programming departments move faster than Sony's!
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote