View Single Post
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM   #592
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
People's expectations about what a sane price would be are based on prices of devices that are sold in far larger numbers and heavily discounted.
I've gone through quite a few dev kits here for various electronics parts over the years (not referring to the populist items like RPi's / Arduinos) one gets used to the costs associated with such things.

For eInk-13.3" I was thinking in the range of $1200~$2000, the controller side is already a well defined system so far as the ARM+storage/interfacing+OS goes. I'm not sure if the actual screen controller had to change a lot in this incarnation ( though given that there's a Indigogo controller purporting to support 6, 9 and 13" displays it doesn't seem like there has been ).

I agree, dev kits are obscenely expensive for the mfg'er to initially develop, but that's usually a bit of a loss-leader to draw in the designers.

I dare say I'm just a bit biased/twitchy because of my intense need for such a device
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote